SASSIE'S SOAP BOX

SASSIE'S SOAP BOX Thoughts, Tirades, Tantrums

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

JMO

I participate in several message boards in my state. Some are just regional and others are topical. I have begun noticing on a couple of them that every time someone makes a statement they seem to feel that they have to end that statement with " JMO" or just my opinion. Well hell of course it's their opinion and they are entitled to it. It's become some form of protection from those that would disagree with them. And since when is it not okay for someone to come right out and say what's on their mind during a discussion? And why does "JMO" make it better? Is it some form of word or thought bandaid?
I also know some of the nicest people that hide behind the anonymous nature of the internet and use these forums to bash people . Anything to argue about, topic doesn't seem to matter. They will oppose any statement just to cause conflict or attack another person. I wonder if these bugger's are so miserable in their real lives that they use the internet to work out some of their disappointment and anger. Or is it entertainment? They do it and then sit back and watch what happens.
Sometimes it seems that we can release our real personalities with the use of our keyboards. These seemingly nice people have been taught since childhood how to behave in society. Then put them in a dark corner of their home with access to the internet and by the glow of their monitors they transform into monsters, bashing and trashing everything in sight.
But back to "JMO". If I say something hurtful to another person does it hurt less if I add "JMO" at the end of my statement? If I say something stupid does it make me appear smarter? And if it's not "JMO" than who's is it and where did it come from? Shouldn't I reveal a source and state that I am in agreement?
There are a few things missing from our internet interactions. The first being politeness. You can offer up "JMO" all you want but with a little thought you can make it less threatening and hurtful by choosing your words carefully. The second is consideration. Being considerate of another should be second nature to people. Treat people how you want to be treated, on the 'net and off. So if you want someone to accept that you have a "JMO" then accept their "JMO" and don't argue about it. Giving someone something to think about is a much better way to make your position understood. We are never going to agree with everyone so why argue about it?
And thirdly, respect. Why is it so hard to respect someone that has a different view? We see the world from separate eyes and our life experiencing change our perspective as we move through our lives. Respect is earned by giving it. It's real simple. You don't have to agree with someone to show respect.
I don't know about you but I don't want to live in a cookie cutter world. I want to know what the people in my life think and believe. I may not agree with them but I do respect their right to be as they are and to think and feel however they do. I don't want anyone to feel that they have to hid behind "JMO" to have a discussion with me nor do I want to be attacked for my view.
More later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home